Tuesday, October 17, 2006

you've got to ask yourself one question: "do I feel lucky?"

By Challi

Well do ya, punk?

Yes my timing is a bit off but last week we did experience a Friday the 13th, supposedly the unluckiest day of the year, if you don't count the day you have to pay taxes or those 5 or so days that happen once every month if you are a woman, but lets not get into that. Otherwise, Friday the 13th is the unluckiest day of the year because apparently a whole lot of knights got massacred on that day in 1307. Seems like a dumb reason for it to be unlucky, right? Ok sure, but a date that both Fidel Castro and the Olsen Twins were born on seems a good reason enough for it to be considered unlucky.

But generally, I'm not a superstitious person. Shit happens, ok? I have no idea why people think that breaking a mirror is bad luck because your reflection is your soul. Bullshit, your reflection is light projecting off of the mirror and back onto your face so that you can see it (thankyou Wikipedia). It's all scientific mumbo jumbo, not spiritual mumbo jumbo! No, here are the real reasons why certain things are "bad luck":
  • Breaking a mirror is bad luck because you'll probably get into trouble with your parents for doing so
  • Walking under a ladder is bad luck because it might fall on you
  • Opening an umbrella inside is bad luck because you might hit something over with the umbrella in such an enclosed space
  • A black cat crossing your path is bad luck because you might trip over it
  • Red shoes are bad luck because they're absolutely tacky
  • Spilling salt on a table is bad luck because now the table is dirty, you ungrateful bastard!
  • Bringing a peacock feather inside the house is bad luck because the peacock will probably come inside the house with you and attack you until you give the feather back
  • and the number 13 in general is bad luck because when you are 13 you have to go through all those embarrassing things that happen during puberty like your voice breaking
And I could go on and on, but I think you get the idea. It is bad luck because it is a bad thing that happened to you, not because the stars and God said so. Screw them!
-C

4 comments:

Lada said...

Those are some rather strong words you used there, Challi. While I can understand, and even laugh, at your comments on these various superstitions people are given to... I do not really agree with the way you treat them. "Screw them?" You can disagree with and dispute certain things without being disrespectful of them, I should think. Write a satire instead of a rant. That would be a more interesting, and less blatantly disturbing, thing to read, perhaps? Jonathan Swift's satire "A Modest Proposal" may perhaps be an interesting study... Certainly you will still get a reaction if you craft it well, but mayhap you will not needlessly offend so much so as to rouse people to wrath and to defence of their point rather than consideration of yours?

Challi said...

...

Nah

Challi said...

Ok, that was a stupid response to such a lengthy comment such as yours. But basically, I don't think people will get the message about silly superstitions if I do a satire. I prefer to just drive the message home by making the message as blatant as possible, and yeah I do take potshots at people but usually they deserve it.

In this case however, I'm insulting superstitions, which aren't even people, they're states of minds. I'm not sure how anyone could actually be offended by my post.

but anyway, I like to rant. That's my thing. Clever satire can be Keeley's job, but he tends to rant too.

PJK said...

Well I'm glad Challi's post made you laugh Lada. The world needs laughter.

That said, this blog has no set purpose. It's not just about satire or rants. It's about me, it's about Challi, it's about student life... in fact it's about anything and everything in this crzy mixed up planet of ours. I'd been planning to do a serious post for a while now, the only thing is they take longer to write. I hope my latest post on the Iraq War was worth the effort.